Important steps to consider for a well drilling project:
- Permit application
- Drilling of the artesian well
- Installation of the pumping system (a link to other page Pumping system)
- Water analysis and treatment (a link to the other Filtration page)
A bentonite sealant, also called a flange, can be installed to prevent contamination through water runoff. Our consultants will guide you if your well is located near contaminated sources.
Once we've agreed on the location of the well, you must produce a location diagram to obtain a mandatory drilling permit issued by the municipalities. Our consultants will assist you during these stages: locating the well, providing useful information, respecting municipal and governmental regulations. We stay with you throughout the whole project.
How do I get a drilling permit?
Before starting work on your artesian well, you must ensure the drill operator holds a permit from the Régie du bâtiment du Québec. Otherwise, you will have to obtain permit from the municipality before digging your well. Our experts will assist you with the administrative process.
Here are the Quebec government's regulations on groundwater exploitation:?
DRILLING AN ARTESIAN WELL
What about the well's depth?
The depth of an artesian well varies and is therefore impossible to know before drilling. Our consultants will calculate the depth of your well once on site.
Water flow rate: how much water is needed?
According to the Ministry of Sustainable Development, Environment and Parks (MDDEP), for domestic artesian wells, the amount of water required is 250 litres per person per day (about 90 gallons/person/day).
PUMPING SYSTEM INSTALLATION
There are four different types of pumping system installation:
- the sampling installation fitted out by drilling (tube wells)
- the sampling installation fitted out by excavation (surface wells)
- submerged excavation (filter tip)
- and exit excavation by natural resurgence using a horizontal drain (spring catchment). Nelson Gagné Drilling can help you make an informed decision.
WATER ANALYSIS AND TREATMENT
What about water quality?
When drilling an artesian well, it is imperative and mandatory to respect the regulations concerning the distance from sources of contamination. Good rock sealing will prevent contamination of groundwater by surface runoff.